Whether you’re a devotee of tea baggage or a espresso addict on the lookout for an alternate beverage, the fabulous (and historic) world of free leaf tea awaits your discovery!
Loose leaf tea is not any extra difficult to brew and luxuriate in than bagged tea—and, as many would attest, it gives depths of taste that the packaged model merely can’t match. Drinking free leaf tea immerses you in hundreds of years of wide-ranging historical past: There’s some fascinating time and armchair journey occurring with every sip.
Here’s a fast primer on choosing and brewing free leaf tea. Cheers!
How to Select
There’s an entire universe of flavors obtainable throughout the totally different tea courses, from grassy-tasting greens to smoky blacks and earthy pu-erhs, however there are solely 5 primary sorts: white, inexperienced, oolong, black and pu-erh. The method a particular tea is processed—for instance, how a lot oxidization it’s permitted to endure—determines the way it’s categorized and the way it tastes.
- If you’re fortunate sufficient to have a tea vendor who’ll curate a tasting for you (or a tea-fanatic good friend keen to do the identical) that’s an effective way to study your private palate. Otherwise, simply dive in and check out a number of totally different sorts of teas to discover out which enchantment to you most.
- A fantastic benefit of free leaf over bagged tea is your potential to see and odor the product earlier than buying it. Generally, it’s higher to purchase extra intact-looking leaves; loads of crushed bits can point out tough dealing with, extreme processing, and/or stale tea. Let your nostril gauge the standard: Sniff for freshness and richness.
- If you’ve by no means had a selected type of tea earlier than, or if you happen to’re shopping for it from a brand new supply, it’s a good suggestion to buy only a small quantity at first. This is kindlier in your pocketbook, and in addition wards towards having a stockpile of not often drunk tea that’s turning into extra flavorless by the day.
How to Brew
Besides its processing and freshness, the flavour of a given tea relies upon enormously on the style during which it’s steeped. Some of crucial steeping elements embrace:
- The ratio of leaves to water. The really useful quantity of free tea is one measuring teaspoon per cup water, making many free teas inexpensive than bagged. Using extra tea leaves will yield a stronger cup, however just remember to have sufficient room in your infuser for the water to flow into across the leaves. The moist leaves are greater than double the scale of the dry leaf.
- The temperature of the water. The brewing directions printed on most tea containers will embrace the really useful temperature. Often flippantly oxidized teas like greens and whites are steeped in cooler water (say, 180 or 185 levels Fahrenheit) whereas boiling water is usually used for well-oxidized oolongs, blacks, and pu-erhs.
- The steeping time. Longer steeps make for a stronger-flavored, extra caffeinated cup of tea. Again, brewing instances are typically really useful by your tea purveyor and fluctuate relying on the kind of tea. With a number of infusions, you sometimes improve steeping instances to account for diminishing power.
Ultimately, although, the way in which you brew your tea comes down to private desire. Experiment with totally different quantities, temperatures, and steeping instances to pattern the impacts on taste—and go together with no matter methodology leads to the tastiest tea for you!
You don’t want a bunch of fancy gear to get pleasure from free leaf tea. Mesh strainers and infusers are available; to use them, merely put the leaves into the strainer, steep and take away. Teapots and mugs with detachable mesh baskets make the method simpler. Or strive paper filters; consider them as “fill your own” tea baggage. And don’t neglect to try the quite a few tea infuser journey mugs that brew and retailer your tea when you’re on the run. Whatever vessel you select, brewing free leaf tea is as straightforward as 1-2-3!
Once you’ve tried free leaf tea, it’s exhausting to return. You’ll possible end up on the pinnacle of a lifelong love affair—and an limitless taste journey.
Super Simple Loose Leaf Tea in a Snap
- 1 teaspoon free leaf black tea
- 6 ounces high-quality water
- Optional: sweetener, lemon, or milk
- Spoon the free leaf tea right into a tea strainer or paper filter and place in a cup.
- Boil water and pour over tea in cup.
- Steep for Three minutes.
- Remove strainer or filter from tea.
- Add sweetener, lemon or milk as desired.
Did you realize:
Pu-erh is a black tea that’s fermented. Two types of pu-erh can be found: desserts or bricks and free leaf tea and are comprised of both oxidized or un-oxidized leaves.
Thirsty for More?
Get your Daily Dose of Steeped Stories, Tips &
Click here for your Free Subscription!