Wow! A smoked salmon recipe that doesn’t require any smoke?! Sounds virtually too good to be true however you’ll be able to guess it’s true. Try this meaty dish in all of the methods you’d use retailer-purchased smoked salmon for a contemporary different!
Yield: Eight servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus Eight hours curing); if poaching, add 5 minutes
Cook Time: N/A if curing; if poaching, add 20 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes (plus Eight hours curing); if poaching, add 20 minutes (plus Eight hours curing)
- three tablespoons Lapsang souchong tea
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- three tablespoons granulated sugar
- One 1¼-pound piece heart-lower, pores and skin-on salmon, pin bones eliminated
- 1 piece Lapsang souchong-cured salmon
- 2 to three cups further-virgin olive oil, plus further for serving
- Flaky salt
- Cure the salmon: In a spice grinder or espresso mill, add the Lapsang souchong tea and pulverize till very fantastic. Transfer the bottom tea to a small bowl and stir within the salt and sugar. Pour half of the tea treatment into an 8-inch container. Set the salmon on high, pores and skin aspect down. Pour the remaining tea treatment over the salmon and pat flippantly to evenly coat the floor. Cover the container and refrigerate for no less than Eight hours however not more than 12 hours.
- Remove the salmon from the fridge and rinse it underneath chilly water, letting the water take away the surplus tea treatment (don’t rub the salmon to take away the treatment). Blot the salmon dry with paper towels and set it on a chopping board.
- If serving the salmon cured: Use a really sharp knife to slice the salmon paper-skinny on a bias and towards the grain. Arrange on a platter and serve.
- If poaching the salmon: Preheat the oven to 250° F. Place the cured, rinsed salmon in a medium oven-protected saucepan or casserole (the salmon shouldn’t contact the perimeters of the pan) and pour sufficient olive oil over the salmon to barely submerge it. Place the saucepan within the oven and poach till the fish is pale pink throughout its whole floor with barely white edges, and the oil smells very aromatic, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the poached salmon to a paper-towel-lined plate, after which use 2 forks to flake the salmon. Place the flaked salmon on a plate, drizzle with extra olive oil, and serve with a pinch of flaky salt.
Recipe from the Tasting Table Test Kitchen: Lapsang Souchong Salmon
Thirsty for More?
Get your Daily Dose of Steeped Stories, Tips &
Click here for your Free Subscription!