In Leslie Meier’s Easter Bunny Murder of the bestselling Lucy Stone Mystery collection, Lucy–a part-time reporter, mom of 4, and beginner sleuth–chases down hidden facts to resolve crimes within the small city of Tinker Cove, Maine. Hot cross buns are a conventional Lenten deal with, however Lucy Stone all the time hates the way in which the sugary icing melts when she warms them up within the oven. When she visited England, nevertheless, she found that they make the cross with a floury paste. English buns are additionally heartier than the American grocery store selection and, in the event you make them, they’re a great way to make use of up the candied fruits left over out of your Christmas pudding.
Hot Cross Buns
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 Tbsp. confectioner’s sugar
- ½ tsp. every, salt and cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. every, mace and nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. floor allspice
- 1½ Tbsp. chilly butter, diced
- 1 packet rapid-rise yeast
- ⅓ cup every dried currants (or raisins), golden raisins, and combined candied fruit
- 1 giant egg, overwhelmed
- For the pastry crosses
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. confectioner’s sugar
- For the glaze
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1½ Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Warm ½ cup milk in small saucepan and put aside.
- Sift flour into giant bowl; stir in sugar and spices. Rub the butter into the combination till it resembles positive crumbs.
- Mix in yeast, then fruit.
- Make a properly within the heart and stir within the egg and sufficient heated milk to type a tender dough that isn’t too sticky.
- Turn dough onto a evenly floured floor and knead till easy and elastic.
- Return to bowl, cowl with plastic wrap, and let stand in heat place till the dough has risen by a third. (This might take Three to five hours.)
- Lightly oil a baking sheet. Turn risen dough onto a evenly floured work floor, knead for a minute, then divide into 6 equal items, every formed into a neat ball.
- Set on baking sheet and canopy with plastic wrap.
- Set apart till dough is puffy, round 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 levels F.
- To make the pastry crosses: Sift all-purpose flour into small bowl, rub in butter till combination types positive crumbs, combine in sugar, and stir in 1 Tbsp. chilly water to make a agency dough. Turn the dough onto a evenly floured floor and roll into a 2 by eight inch rectangle. Cut into 12 strips, every four inches lengthy and ¼ inch large. For every bun, brush 2 strips with a little water and organize moist facet down in a cross on high of the bun. Bake till golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze: Combine milk and sugar in small saucepan and prepare dinner over low warmth till sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Raise warmth to excessive and boil vigorously for 30 seconds till glaze turns into syrupy. When buns are accomplished, switch to a wire rack set on wax paper and brush with scorching glaze.
Get your copy of EASTER BUNNY MURDER by Leslie Meier HERE!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Leslie Meier is a New York Times bestselling writer of over twenty Lucy Stone mysteries and has additionally written for Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine. She is at present at work on the following Lucy Stone thriller. Readers can go to her web site at LeslieMeierBooks.com.