By Bruce Richardson • Photography by Mac Jamieson
Making tea is a serendipitous occasion. There is not any handbook that ensures good tea in the event you comply with 5 simple steps. Read 10 books by tea specialists and you can see 10 totally different procedures and brewing occasions. The solely fixed is that your cup of tea will differ due to the freshness of the tea, the standard and temperature of the water, and the brewing time. Water temperature is essential within the brewing ritual. The normal rule to recollect is the extra oxidized the tea, the warmer the water.
Use the next chart as a starting temperature information, after which experiment.
Black tea: four to five minutes at 212°
Oolong tea: four to 7 minutes at 195° to 210°
Green or white tea: 2 to five minutes at 165° to 175°
- Use recent, entire-leaf tea from a good tea service provider.
- Keep tea saved in an hermetic tin away from warmth, mild, moisture, and odors.
- Invest in -high quality kettle (electrical or range prime) to warmth water to the correct temperature.
- Purchase a teapot that’s heavy sufficient to carry warmth. Porcelain is commonly finest.
- Use a basket infuser or disposable paper tea filter to carry unfastened tea within the teapot. (A tea ball doesn’t enable the tea leaves to rehydrate and absolutely develop.)
- Use a gram scale or measuring spoon. (A measuring spoon doesn’t all the time work as a result of some tea leaves are greater than others.)
- Install a water filter on the chilly water supply, or use a reasonable pitcher filter to take away chlorine and iron.
- Fill the kettle with filtered chilly water, and warmth.
- Warm the teapot with scorching faucet water.
- Discard the water within the teapot.
- Using an infuser basket or tea filter, add 2 grams of tea per cup to the pot. (For an English-style tea, merely place the unfastened leaves within the pot, then pour the brewed tea by a strainer right into a cup. Be warned: The second cup of tea could also be overbrewed and bitter.)
- Pour the recent or boiling water over the leaves within the pot. Agitate often.
- Remove the infuser, and pour tea into cups. Taste the tea earlier than making additions resembling milk, lemon, or sugar. Milk is mostly not added to white, inexperienced, oolong, or flavored teas.
Discover extra seasonal recipes, desk settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription as we speak!