Chamomile tea lends its floral notes to roasted hen, with the complementing earthiness of untamed mushrooms. It’s a comforting mixture of flavors, good for this time of the yr!
- 20 sprig(s) thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon(s) chamomile flowers , or the contents of Four chamomile tea baggage
- 1 (Three half of-pound) hen, patted dry
- Freshly floor pepper
- 4 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 half of pound(s) contemporary or thawed frozen pizza dough
- 3/4 pound(s) brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) additional-virgin olive oil
- 4 clove(s) (giant) garlic, smashed
- 3/4 pound(s) combined wild mushrooms, akin to shiitake and oyster, stemmed and thickly sliced
- half of cup(s) veal demiglace (ready or bought) combined with half of cup of water
- Preheat the oven to 375 levels F. Spread the thyme, bay leaves, and chamomile within the backside of a giant, deep, enameled solid-iron casserole. Season the hen in and out with salt and pepper and set it instantly on the aromatics. Rub the highest of the hen with Three tablespoons of the butter.
- Roll the pizza dough right into a rope that’s lengthy sufficient to encircle the casserole. Press the dough onto the rim of the casserole and canopy with the lid, urgent it into the dough. Pinch the dough up onto the lid barely to seal the pot utterly. Roast the hen within the middle of the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove the lid, cracking the dough, and pierce the thigh to ensure the hen is cooked by. Replace the lid and let the hen relaxation for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a big skillet, soften the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the brussels sprouts, season with salt and pepper, and prepare dinner over reasonable warmth till simply wilted. Transfer the brussels sprouts to a platter.
- Heat the olive oil within the skillet. Add the garlic and prepare dinner over reasonable warmth till golden, about 5 minutes; discard the garlic. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and prepare dinner over reasonably low warmth till softened and calmly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the demiglace combination and simmer till barely lowered, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the hen to a chopping board and pressure the pan juices right into a measuring cup. Discard the fats from the juices, then add the juices to the mushrooms. Remove the hen pores and skin and slice the breast meat. Cut off the legs, chopping them into two items every. Arrange the hen on the brussels sprouts on the platter, spoon the mushrooms and sauce on high, and serve with chunks of the baked pizza dough, for dipping.
Feature picture by John Kernick
Thirsty for More?
Get your Daily Dose of Steeped Stories, Tips &
Click here for your Free Subscription!