I love the fact that the tea that’s generating so much excitement these days —Rooibos— isn’t technically a “tea” at all… in the sense that it is not made from the leaf of the Camellia sinensis plant.
The Rooibos plant actually belongs to the legume family (Fabaceae), meaning it’s botanically related to beans. No wonder an herbal Rooibos tisane is sometimes referred to as a “coffee-drinker’s tea”. It’s robust, hearty and earthy, and hip-minded cafés now offer Rooibos in coffee-inspired concoctions, like “lattes” and “espressos”, made coffee-free and caffeine-free with Rooibos instead of the obvious. But unlike the coffee-originals, Rooibos is naturally sweet, with a creamy-vanilla aroma top note that’s straight from the earth.
The plant’s name is Afrikaans, the Dutch idiom spoken in South Africa—it means “red bush”, which is another common name for this plant. The bush is grown exclusively in the Cedarberg Mountain region of Cape Town, South Africa. European colonists who emigrated to the Cape in the early 20th century initially took an interest in this rugged, shrubby plant because tariffs on Asian teas were, pardon the pun, steep. The local Khoi-Khoi people had been brewing and drinking the fine, needle-like leaves for centuries (they loved it so much that they collected the precious seeds from anthills!), so the new arrivals decided to join them.
One of the reasons that Rooibos is a modern-day success story for South Africa is that bean-connection. Legumes are “nitrogen-fixing”, meaning that they minimize the need for fertilizer in low pH, less-than-rich soil. For instance, when growing other veggies, many farmers plant rows upon rows of Fava beans for this reason alone. This make Rooibos economical to grow, and also reduces its planetary footprint, since it does not require heavy ag-chemicals in the form of fertilizers. The bio-efficiency of Rooibos as a crop creates a dynamic basis for both Organic and Fair Trade growing and harvesting practices.
Generations of indigenous Africans used Rooibos as a soothing bath, especially for babies, and anyone with rashy, irritated skin. These soothing properties, according to their traditional beliefs, also eased insomnia and headaches when the plant was brewed and sipped.
Today, Rooibos is enjoying renewed popularity as a topical ingredient in modern skin care formulations. Research is currently underway to establish its other health benefits. For now, there is no arguing that a cup of Art of Tea Rooibos, or Art of Tea’s headier Rooibos Chai (infused with a spice-route of Organic Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon and Ginger) refreshes and satisfies, from the first gorgeously-transparent red sip, until the pot runs dry.
Tick Tock Organic Rooibos 80 Teabags (Pack of 5, Total 400 Teabags)
£20.77 out of stock
- Sulphur dioxide free
- It is Celery free
- caffeine free
- It can be enjoyed at any time of day and are suitable for the whole family
Rooibos Organic Tea South Africa - Herbal African Red Bush Tea - Redbush Tea 200g
- Known as Redbush in the UK, Rooibos is a deep red tea with a mild, fruity flavour and refreshing herbal texture.
- Did you know that Rooibos does not actually come from tea plants? A South African cultivar, Rooibos is grown only in that country, where the climate produces a naturally soothing infusion that is impossible to oversteep.
- This Rooibos is naturally caffeine-free and entirely organic. Valley of Tea sources our Redbush Tea from selected suppliers within South Africa, ensuring the highest quality.
- While Rooibos pairs beautifully with nutty, herbal and fruity flavours, this particular tea is pure organic Redbush Tea with no added flavourings.
- Due to its mild taste and lack of caffeine, we recommend enjoying Rooibos as an evening tea, perfect for unwinding after a long day.
Original Rooibos - Redbush Tea Company 80's (Pack of 3, total 240 teabags)
- Naturally 100% caffeine free (no decaffeination process). A tea suitable for all ages at any time of the day.
- Lower in tannin than regular teas. No bitter after taste.
- Rich in naturally occurring antioxidants with 9 trace minerals for a refreshing, rehydrating drink to replenish the body with depleted minerals.
- Drink with milk or enjoy without milk.
- Contains no calories (when taken in its natural form). No oxalic acid. Free from colourings, additives and preservatives.
Freshpak Rooibos Tea - 80 Tea Bags (2 Pack 160 bags)
- caffeine free
Tick Tock Organic Rooibos Loose Leaf 100g (Pack of 10, Total 1kg)
- Smooth, slightly sweet, refreshingly flavourful and a deep colour, enjoy with or without milk.
- Naturally caffeine free, low in tannins and high in antioxidants.
- Rooibos tea is grown in South Africa's Cedarberg Mountains
- The Tick Tock family have been growing and making rooibos teas ever since Grandfather Benjamin first perfected the brew in 1903.
Tealyra - Pure Rooibos Red Herbal Tea - African Red Bush Loose Leaf Tea - High in Antioxidants - Relax - Detox - Low Blood Pressure - Kids Welcome - Caffeine-Free - 150g
- Pure South African rooibos! A delicious brew all on its own, rooibos has a natural sweetness and subtle vanilla like flavor.
- It is a healthy addition to your daily routine, it's full of health benefits, and is calorie and Caffeine-Free, a great beverage the whole family can enjoy anytime of the day.
- Numerous tests show that rooibos is a high source of calcium, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, and zinc. Zinc is a powerful immune boosting mineral, great for battling flu symptoms, fighting colds, and getting rid of pesky cold sores!
- Rooibos is also an excellent base for blended herbal teas, you'll often find it mixed with other herbs, flowers, fruit and flavors because it is mild, sweet and incredibly complementary.
- Experiment with rooibos, try it sweet, iced or straight, you won't be disappointed!
ELEVEN O'CLOCK TEA Organic Eleven O'Clock Rooibosch Tea Bags 40bags (PACK OF 5)
- Eleven O'Clock has been a genuine family favourite and store cupboard essential for many generations.
- Naturally caffeine free, low in tannins and full of antioxidants.
- This tea can be enjoyed with or without milk, or with a slice of lemon. Rooibos also makes a delicious iced tea.
- Pure rooibosch is grown to international organic standards and is from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms. It is harvested by hand and cured in the crisp Cedarberg Mountain air.
Dragonfly Rooibos Earl Grey 40 Bags x 4
£11.04 in stock
- Please be aware that unless expressly indicated otherwise, product packaging may vary from what is shown on this listing. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented on our listing. Please always read the labels, warning and directions provided before using or consuming the product.
JustIngredients Essentials Rooibos Tea 1 kg
- This product is part of Essentials range; the packaging is professional and durable, ideal for home use, catering use, food manufacturers and for re-sale
- All JustIngredients products are non-irradiated, GM-free and (except where anti-caking agent is essential) free from additives too
- JustIngredients are passionate about ethical, healthy and natural products that have been responsibly sourced
- A trusted, BRC accredited, UK based supplier JustIngredients have over 30 years experience
- Supplying one of the largest online ranges of herbs, spices, wholefoods, botanicals and more; discover their full catalogue on Amazon
teapigs honeybush & Rooibos 50 Tea Temples
£10.19 in stock
- real whole leaves, whole herbs, berries and spices
- a blend of rooibos and honeybish tea from Cedbergh region of South Africa. Soothing
- naturally caffeine free
- 0 calories per cup