As with any time of day, tea could be a excellent addition to a wholesome dinner. Tea and spice rubs can improve all kinds of lean meats and fish, providing substantial taste and not using a want so as to add fats. A household favourite of ours for various years has been a tea and spice rubbed pork tenderloin served with a peach mango salsa.
Peaches are a pleasure this time of 12 months, but when not out there, they’ll simply get replaced with further mango, or your alternative of different fruits. In the winter, you may even think about substituting tea plumped dried fruits. This dish has proven up at varied occasions: thinly sliced for tea sandwiches and canapés, served over tea French dressing dressed greens for a salad, or featured as a proud major course for dinner.
Another healthful major dish that I’ve loved, each at dwelling and served in varied eating places, is “Tea and Spice seared Tuna”. As with the pork, it’s very versatile and will be served in varied methods. I at all times appear to return again to having fun with it as a major or an appetizer, sliced and tiled throughout the plate with an Asian model tea dipping sauce on the facet. Jasmine rice, marinated asparagus and sliced tomatoes full the meal.
To proceed your theme, add one other layer of taste: use tea and inventory to switch some or the entire water when making rice, couscous or different grains that may accompany your tea rubbed major dish. Tea and spice rubs are simple to make and fairly versatile. They can differ in model from mild, crisp and clear, that includes a very good inexperienced tea and Asian spices; candy and earthy, with black teas and Moroccan model spice blends; to wealthy and smoky, by utilizing Lapsong Souchong.
Whether you employ these blends as an in a single day dry rub to complete your meal – grilling, roasting and even braising the following day, as a crust, shortly earlier than pan searing, as a spice mix to season earlier than or throughout cooking, or as a pinch or dusting to complete off your dishes – you’re positive to search out your individual favourite mix that you simply’ll attain to time and once more.
Your favourite model of a Tea Spice Rub, positioned into ornamental small containers, make distinctive and private presents to share with particular associates.
Spiced Orange and Tea Roasted Pork Tenderloin served with Mango Peach Habanero Salsa
- 2 pork tenderloins, roughly 1 pound every, cleaned of extra fats and pores and skin
- four tablespoons ‘Tea Spice Rub’ (recipe beneath)
- Approximately 2 cups orange juice, ideally freshly squeezed
- Preheat nonetheless oven to 375˚ Fahrenheit, convection oven to 325.
- Rub the pork tenderloins with the ‘Tea Spice Rub’ and let sit, nicely lined, within the fridge in a single day.
- Remove from the fridge and place in a roasting pan, as small a pan as your tenderloins will slot in with out crowding. (Use a glass or stainless-steel roasting pan, not aluminum or different reactive steel.)
- Pour orange juice within the pan 1/three of the way in which up the edges of the tenderloins.
- Roast in preheated oven till desired doneness, ideally pink. Baste periodically.
- May be served scorching or at room temperature.
Mango Peach Habanero Salsa
- 1 medium mango, nonetheless pretty agency
- 1 massive or 2 medium peaches, nonetheless pretty agency
- Brown sugar
- 1 medium crimson bell pepper
- 1 small (or much less) habanero pepper (If unavailable, change with a teaspoon of crimson pepper flakes.)
- 1 small crimson onion
- 2 limes
- 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped herbs (A mix of cilantro, basil and Italian parsley works nicely, however be happy to differ.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of ‘Tea Spice Rub’
- Peel and 1/four inch cube mango and peaches. You need them agency sufficient so you may cleanly cube them.
- Wash, seed and cube the peppers. Be positive to put on rubber gloves if you work with the habanero pepper and DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES. Chop the habanero as small as potential.
- Peel and cube the crimson pepper into about 1/eight inch items.
- Toss all components collectively.
- Squeeze within the juice of two limes and 1/2 orange.
- Sprinkle within the Tea Spice Rub and contemporary herbs, including further salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir nicely.
- Adjust to taste.
- Chill till able to serve.
Tea Spice Rub
This is a splendidly versatile mixture that’s useful to maintain out there in your cupboard. It’s very good rubbed on hen, pork, beef or sport earlier than grilling or roasting. It can be used as a spice mix added to braising liquids, chutneys, you identify it! Feel free to tailor it to your individual private model.
- 5 tablespoon finely floor Chinese black tea (Congou or Pu-Erh work nicely)
- 1/four cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed crimson pepper flakes or crushed Szechwan peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon floor star anise or anise seed
- 1/2 teaspoon floor clove
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon floor ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon floor mace
- Combine all components, mixing completely.
- Store at room temperature in a tightly sealed jar or tin.