observe that this text was beforehand revealed on December 13th, 2014
A gaiwan is a particular lidded bowl that’s used for brewing tea. Invented throughout the Ming dynasty, the design has not modified a lot over time. It consists of a saucer, a small cup with a flared lip and a lid. The most typical materials is porcelain however you too can discover gaiwans which might be made out of glass or clay.
A considerable amount of leaves and a small quantity of water is used to realize concentrated taste and aroma. Rather than brewing for three to five minutes such as you would in a tea pot, the infusion time for a gaiwan may be as quick as 15 seconds. The brewed tea is then poured right into a cup or serving vessel, utilizing the lid as a strainer to maintain the leaves contained in the bowl. Many tea connoisseurs take pleasure in sniffing the lid after every infusion to see what aromas they’re capable of finding within the tea.
Pouring tea with a gaiwan may be very tough for the uninitiated. The fundamental concept is to carry the gaiwan from the rim and the button on high of the lid. I like to recommend working towards with cool water first as a way to get the method down with out risking burning your self. It additionally takes a while and observe on your fingers to grow to be accustomed to the warmth. There are many strategies for pouring however it’s essential to do what works finest for you.
I’ve pretty lengthy fingers so I’ve no downside gripping the very high rim of the gaiwan. Others with small palms could wish to use the saucer as a way to know the gaiwan in a safer, extra snug approach. The positioning of your lid will enable you to regulate the water temperature, if wanted. Pu-erh loves warmth so that you’ll wish to shut the lid all the way in which. Green teas are simply scalded so it might assist to depart a gap for steam to flee.
If you ask 5 tea drinkers what teas work finest in a gaiwan you’re prone to get 5 completely different solutions. In my expertise oolongs, black tea and pu-erh all carry out very nicely. A top quality tea may be brewed upwards of ten instances. White and inexperienced teas is usually a bit extra delicate so use your judgment. Chinese and Taiwanese teas are inclined to work finest in gaiwans however I’ve had success brewing all the pieces from Darjeeling to American grown white tea.
observe that this put up was beforehand revealed on July ninth, 2015
Thirsty for More?
Get your Daily Dose of Steeped Stories, Tips & Exclusive Offers.
Click here for your Free Subscription!
Tea Repertoire Chinese Gongfu Glass Gaiwan Teapot (100ML /3.5 Oz) | Pure Handmade Heat-Resistant Glass Cup, Lid, Saucer | Traditional Gong Fu Cha Tea Pot Set
- HAND-CRAFTED & EASY TO USE DESIGN: Tea Repertoire London glass gaiwan is hand-made from mouth-blown, luxury borosilicate glass. It consists of 3 parts: bowl, saucer and lid, perfect for brewing loose leaf tea in the traditional Chinese Gong Fu method. Unlike porcelain gaiwan, glass gaiwan allows you to see through and enjoy the loose leaf tea brewing process and the colour of the tea liquor.
- GONG-FU CHA TEA CEREMONY: This elegant and beautifully designed glass gaiwan is one of the essential tea maker tools for Chinese Gong Fu tea ceremony to get consistent tea flavour over multiple steeping. Simply pour the tea from your brewing vessel into the sharing serving glass pitcher and distribute to other cups. You can enjoy the beautiful tea colour of green, oolong, white, puerh tea.
- HEAT-RESISTANCE, LIGHT-WEIGHT, DISHWASHER SAFE: Made from top quality, pure borosilicate glass known for high temperature resistance (-20°C to 150°C), this light-weight, multifunctional gaiwan is safe to use with dishwasher, it is easy to clean.
- TOP QUALITY, ECO-FRIENDLY, HEALTHY MATERIALS: Tea Repertoire London uses only top quality, pure, borosilicate glass known for heat-resistance, durability, clarity and radiance to produce reliable, fine quality glassware products.
- WARRANTY - We are committed to providing the best customer service to our customers. As glassware items are fragile, damage or breakage can happen during the shipping process. If you happen to receive a damaged product, we will 100% replace the damaged item with a new product. All you need to do is to contact our customer service team.