In Tina Kashian’s One Feta in the Grave, the latest installment of the deliciously devious Kebab Kitchen Mystery series, My Big Fat Greek Wedding meets murder on the Jersey Shore when Lucy Barbarian—manager of her family’s Mediterranean restaurant and amateur sleuth—must hunt down a local businessman’s killer while slinging her famous Date-Stuffed Cookies at a beach festival food tent.
Lucy’s Date-Stuffed Cookies
- For the Dough:
- ½ pound unsalted, softened butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup warm water
- For the Filling:
- 1½ to 2 pounds pitted and chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon unsalted, softened butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Egg Wash:
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Use an electric mixer on medium speed to mix butter, oil and sugar.
- Add flour, baking powder, and water and mix on medium speed. The dough should be a soft, pliable consistency.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap, and set it aside for 30 to 45 minutes at room temperature. Now you are ready to prepare the date filling!
- Combine dates, butter, hot water, sugar, and cinnamon in a separate bowl and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Flour a work surface to prevent the dough from sticking. Roll out dough until about ⅛-inch thick.
- Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter or a water glass to cut out a circle shape.
- Place one rounded teaspoonful of date filling in the center of each circle shape.
- Fold into a half-circle shape. Using a fork, gently press the edges together to seal.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly spray baking sheets with cooking spray. Place cookies on baking sheets.
- Brush each cookie with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cookies should be golden, not brown.
- Lift cookies with a spatula, and place them on cooling racks.
Get your copy of ONE FETA IN THE GRAVE by Tina Kashian HERE!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Tina Kashian, previously published as Tina Gabrielle, is an Amazon bestselling author, an attorney, and a former mechanical engineer whose love of reading for pleasure helped her get through years of academia. Tina spent her childhood summers at the Jersey shore building sandcastles, boogie boarding, and riding the boardwalk Ferris wheel. She also grew up in the restaurant business, as her Armenian parents owned a restaurant for thirty years. Tina’s books have been Barnes & Noble top picks, and her first book, Lady of Scandal, was nominated as Best First Historical Romance by RT Book Reviews. Please visit her website at TinaKashian.com to join her newsletter, receive delicious recipes, enter contests, and more!